Please pray for Lily

My little puppy today decided that it was a good idea to eat the straps of my havaianas.  She ate the whole “v” part of the flipflops, that stays on top of you foot.  When the helper showed it to me and we realized that she actually ingested it, my first thought was “I gotta make her throw it up.”


This was not the first time I had to make her throw up.  Once she ate a whole 7oz packet of dried mangoes.  She was 5lbs at the time, and she ingested the whole thing (we found out after she threw up a bit of yellow and we were like “WTF?” then found the empty package on the floor).  After help from my friends on Facebook (it was 11:30pm at night, on our first weekend in Manila, on a Sunday, we didn’t know anyone and everything was closed), I found out that a bit of salt on the back of her throat should bring it up.  It worked, she threw up the whole thing (the pieces were not even chewed, she’s a pig!).

A couple of days later, she decided that eating 5 chocolate flavored granola bars — including their individual wrappers!!! — was a good idea.  Again, I had to use the salt trick.

(Before you accuse me of being a bad pet owner, all those packages were unopened and factory sealed on top of the dining table, that she figured out how to jump on — I didn’t figure it out at first after the mango incident, I had assumed the cat threw the packet on the floor, which is where we found it, but the granola bars were taken from their original packaging, that was still on the table, chewed through.  Later I was able to witness how a 5lb dog makes her way on top of the dining table — and yes, she’s pretty crafty.)

Anyway, it’s been 2 months with no other incidents until today.  She never tried to eat non-food items before.  So when I saw she ate so much rubber, I didn’t think twice, and made her vomit.  Except that after the rubber pieces and her breakfast passed through, she continued to retch.  Then a clear fluid mixed with blood came out.  Then more.  Then again.  And again.  And again.  For over 40 minutes she was throwing up blood non-stop.

By then, I was already in a taxi, on the way to the vet (thanks so much for Cath who called the vet for me as I was slightly hysterical) as he hd told us to bring her immediately to the office.  She had diarrhea just before leaving the house.  A bit of rubber was in there.  In the taxi, she threw up another two times, all with blood, no solids.

When we got to the vet, as they were setting up the x-ray, she threw up yet again, but this time, no clear fluids:  just pure blood.  About a fist-size amount.  Bright red.  VERY red.  Though she is no longer 5lbs (she’s “big” at 9lbs now), that was still way more blood than a little dog should be able to handle.

I don’t have to explain that I was in tears.

The first x-ray came out clear, but we were warned it might (since rubber doesn’t show that well on x-ray).  So the vet said she had to stay over, so they could make her digest a liquid, visible on the x-ray, and see if there’s any blockage.  And I had to walk out of the office, leaving my baby behind, while she was hooked on IV fluids.

3 hours later, with no news, I called them.  The first x-ray was ok, the liquid had cleared the esophagus.  An hour later, I was told that the second x-ray was also clear, as the liquid had reached the small intestines.  I was also told that she had not thrown up again (they did give her medication right away though to control the vomit).

But then, they told me “she will need to stay overnight for observation.”  And I just broke down.  My sick baby, alone, at the vet in a crate?  Heartbreaking.  (They are open 24 hours for emergency, so I know that she won’t really be alone, but still.)

I can’t stop blaming myself.  Why did I make her vomit?  But people have assured me that her throwing it up is still safer than risking her passing through that much rubber through her intestines.  That it would surely have caused a blockage needing surgery.  But when you see your puppy throwing up so much, 2 days before her 7 month birthday, how can you NOT blame yourself?

Please pray for Lily, and that tomorrow she’ll be coming home healthy.  Our home is not the same without her.

Advertisements

16 Comments

Filed under Lily, Non-Running Stuff, Pictures

16 responses to “Please pray for Lily

  1. oh no! praying for you all – please keep us posted!

  2. Feel better soon, Lily!

  3. Oh, sweet Lily! Will definitely be praying for you…I know firsthand how traumatizing it can be to have your pet ingest something and then you sit and play the waiting game.
    My 20lb dog ate an entire rotisserie chicken, including the carcass (and part of the container), earlier this year. Scarfed it off the counter; have never seen her do anything like that before and she just turned 6. Matt was (of course) out of town and this occurred at 9:00pm. Thankfully, she was OK but the waiting, observing and blaming (myself) were a lonely and scary time.

  4. Tracy

    Aww, poor Lily! I’ll keep her in my prayers.

    Tracy

  5. Oh no! I hope they are able to resolve it all and that she is okay again.

  6. Oh sweet Lily! I hope feels better and everything is ok. 🙂

  7. mm

    Poor Lily! (and you!!) I hope she recovers quickly and everything is fine! I know how stressed and worried I get when there is anything slightly wrong with my dogs – I can only imagine how scary it was to see her vomiting blood!

  8. Nomads By Nature

    What a blessing to have a great vet when such a scary event happens. Hoping to read a post soon detailing Lily’s speedy recovery and full health antics!

  9. Valerie

    I hope Lily comes home soon.

  10. Oh no! 😦 Poor thing… please do keep us posted!

  11. Pingback: Update on Lily | I Run, You Run

  12. Pingback: My baby is all grown up! | I Run, You Run

  13. wow i just read that link from your other story. that is scary!

  14. Pingback: 6 months or 25% of our time here | I Run, You Run

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s